"Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. ... Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world."

Yes, Virginia ... there is a Santa Claus!

Glitter Balls with Santa Hats

This is my latest little 'upcycling' project with a Dollar Store ornament. I love poking around the aisles for things that can be transformed into something else.



When I spotted these I was very excited. My initial plan was to paint them with little faces, but after many layers of attempt, it wasn't really working out. When I tried painting the red balls, in particular, I was up to 6 layers of white paint and still getting pink. The finish on the glass ball was actually turning the paint into a Pepto Bismo pink. It was rather fascinating, but not at all Christmasy.

So .... glitter came to the rescue and saved the day. Yay for glitter. Snowballs with Santa hats - I instantly loved them. I used a layer of Twinkles Glitter Paint and then - as this wasn't enough - some actual glitter.

I'm looking forward to trying some more, as the steps necessary are far less than I went through in the experimenting process. Paint, twinkle glaze/paint and glitter should do the trick. I also added some glitter glaze to the holly (green) and berries (red). No doubt it would also be pretty with just a crystal glaze, but I happened to have the colours.

They look pretty on the tree don't you think? One could go to town with sequins and other trim bits on the hat, but I am keeping it simple.

The garland on this tree is another recent experiment, but I shall have to tell you more about that - still in development!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...